Sunday 24 August 2008

Greens in the Garden



I have tried this year to grow a few things in my back garden. Last year I did some peas and spring onions, but this year I did a few more.
The weather has been against me and most vegetable growers this year in my neck of the woods with low sun levels combined with high levels of rainfall.


I have been waiting patiently for my corn to grow and have at last seen the silks peeking out beside the leaves of the developing cob.
















My other success was my dwarf french beans which I have had a few lovely pickings from.






I lost my spring onions this year, but have been rewarded with a few potatoes, peas, onions, lots of lettuce and a few large and still developing purple sprouting broccoli plants.









All in all if the weather had been better I would have had more of everything, but I have been pleased with the produce I have grown. There is nothing better than something taken straight from the garden,

6 comments:

Marie Rayner said...

I think you did very well with your garden Angela, especially when you consider the really crap weather you guys have been having up there! My corn is slow as well. I think I have a few cobs now that are ready for the picking and I may just do that today!

Manggy said...

Whoa, that's very impressive. The only things I've had to take care of here are a few herbs... And I managed to kill the Dill. :( Ha ha ha.

Beth (jamandcream) said...

You did well. My gardens so waterlogged everything rotted! Will try again next year

Raquel said...

Looks lovely, Angela. Our weather here was not good, either. We almost got drownded out earlier and now we have been dry, but the weather is getting too cool. Our tomatoes have come to an absolute stand-still. Our fig tree last year was loaded, this year I think we have 4 figs on it! Much love, Raquel XO

Sylvie said...

I wish I had a garden Looks like your efforts have deservedly paid off!

Anonymous said...

Wow, it must have a great feeling to see the fruits of your labor. I have yet to plant anything. I'll give it a shot with my kids once we're settled in Florida. Right now I'm just buying mums to plant in the front of my home for the upcoming fall season, which I absolutely love in my part of the USA.
Be blessed!
Sonja