Tuesday 8 April 2008

Cinnamon Rolls and a nice day out.


We are off to St Andrews today to visit my Aunt and Uncle. I love St Andrews and am so lucky to live not too far away from this beautiful historic place.
My Gran lived there when my Dad & Aunt were small and eventually returned there after many long years waiting on a house to become available. My Aunt & Uncle used to have a lovely Watchmakers shop on South Street in the town and I have many fond memories of visiting the shop. They are both retired now and seem to be as busy as ever, but doing the nice things that they never had time to do when they were running their own business.
They often treat us to lunch when we go and visit, but today I wanted to take them something as a treat. I have always wanted to make cinnamon swirls/rolls, but had never gotten round to it. I had been clearing out a few things yesterday and found some time to go through some of the many recipes I have printed out with the intention of making. So when I got up bright and early this morning I knew I should have a go and make these delicious looking rolls. The recipe is from Maries Muses .
Marie has been having trouble with her aol Journal, so she has continued writing here

Cinnamon Rolls

Makes 12 delicious rolls that are just right for sharing.

1 cup milk

3 TBS water

1 egg, beaten

¼ cup butter

3 1/3 cups strong flour

3 TBS Castor sugar

¾ tsp salt

2 tsp yeast

FILLING:

¾ cup soft brown sugar, packed

3 ¾ tsp ground cinnamon

2 TBS softened butter

GLAZE:

¾ cup icing sugar

¼ tsp vanilla essence

2 to 3 tsp milk

Put the dough ingredients in your bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Mine goes like this: yeast, flour, sugar, salt, water, milk, egg, butter. Set it on the dough cycle and then go off and do something else while you are waiting.

When done, tip it out onto a floured surface and knead in enough dough to keep it from sticking and make it easier to handle. Roll out on a floured surface with a floured rolling pin to a rectangle, approximately ¼ inch thick and 12 inches long..

Spread with the softened butter. Mix together the brown sugar and the cinnamon and sprinkle evenly over the butter. Roll up tightly, (from the side of the rectangle) You should have a long roll, not a short one. Cut the roll crosswise, at one inch intervals, into 12 pieces. Place cut side down into a well buttered 9 X 15 inch baking pan with sides. Cover with a clean tea towel and let rise until doubled in size, approximately 30 minutes or so.

Pre-heat oven to 180*C/350*F. Place the pan into the heated oven and bake for about 25 minutes , until nicely browned on top. Remove to a wire rack to cool.

Stir together glaze ingredients and swirl over finished buns while still warm.



5 comments:

Nic said...

They look wonderful - I wouldn't mind one right now!

Sylvie said...

Angela, those look delicious and I'm with you, I love St Andrews too! But my favourite place in Fife has got to be Crail, or maybe Pittenweem.

Marie Rayner said...

It always pleases me when I know someone had tried my recipes and had good results with them. From your delicious photo I can tell yours turned out perfect! I have gained ten pounds just looking at your photo!!!

Mama Mia said...

Wow! those look amazingly delish!

Mama Mia said...

All of your food looks amazing!